“Now the turkey’s sorted, it’s time to make a couple of sides to really get the feast going. I get asked all the time how I get my roasties so crispy on the outside yet fluffy and soft in the centre. As well as this recipe being vegan (using no animal fats) there’s also a special ingredient – read on to find out.”
Large bag of potatoes
(I use either Maris Piper or King Edward)
3/4 sprigs of thyme
1 tbsp smoked paprika
2 tbsp corn flour
1 bowl of Cornflakes blitzed in a blender to fine
1. Take the bag of potatoes, peel and half them all.
2. In a large pan put all the potatoes and fill with water until they are covered. Add a tablespoon of salt and bring to the boil, once boiling take down to a simmer and cook for 10-12 minutes.
3. In the meantime, set the oven to 200c. In a semi deep roasting tin, add enough oil to cover the bottom of the tin by 2cm. Place the tray in the oven to heat up the oil.
4. Once par boiled, drain off the potatoes in a colander and shake them around a little to rough up the edges.
5. Then, transfer the potatoes to a bowl, pour on a glug of oil and coat them, then sprinkle in the corn flour, thyme, paprika, salt and pepper before finally mixing in the cornflakes and coating in the fine dust.
6. Now we need to take the oil out of the oven and put the potatoes in the tray, be careful as the oil will be hot and will splash around. Make sure to coat the potatoes in the hot oil before putting back in the oven.
7. Cook for 40 minutes until crispy, keep on rotating them in this time to make sure they evenly cook and crisp up.