Not a got a sweet tooth? Savoury pancakes are just as delicious. Serve up this melting ham and cheese combo as a breakfast treat or speedy dinner alternative.
For the sauce:
250ml whole milk
1 heaped tbsp of plain flour
100g cheddar cheese grated
Nutmeg to grate
Salt & pepper to season
Traditional crepe batter – see above recipe.
Boiled ham cut into chunky pieces
1. Firstly, make the pancakes and set aside.
2. In a saucepan melt the butter, reduce heat to low/medium and stir in the flour into a loose paste, then whisk in the milk until it creates a thick white sauce.
3. To this, add the grated cheddar and mix until melted, you should now have a thick almost sticky sauce. Grate in the nutmeg and season to taste.
4. Take a pancake and cut it from the middle outward to the edge. Now from that cut imagine 4 quarters, in these are going to go; 1. Ham slices, 2. Cheese sauce, 3. Ham slices, 4 Cheese sauce. From the first ham quarter, fold forward and carry on clockwise until all folded up into a triangle.
5. Serve with any choice of side dish or just eat them up as they are.